Recent WTF Moments and My Soundtrack to Them
5. Watching Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me – Miss Derringer “Black Tears”
4. How fast the global economies tanking – Nomeansno “Dark Ages”
3. That executive pay limits aren’t a given in the proposed economic bail out – Propagandhi “A People’s History of the World”
2. Sarah Palin and the fact people actually take her serious – Bad Religion “New Dark Ages”
1. Watching final episode of Twin Peaks – Pixies “Is She Weird”
Stories to Teach in a Conservative Muslim Country
• Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
• Animal Farm, by George Orwell
• The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson
• The House on Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros
• The Devil Wears Prada, by Laura Weisberger (Oh, but I jest! The movie was much better than the book.)
• Teenage Bottlerocket, Warning Device CD
• The Rotters, Pull it and Yell CD
• The Dickies, Incredible Shrinking Dickies CD
• Heino, Liebe Mutter 12”
• Hanson Brothers, It’s a Living CD + DVD
Top Five Recent Punk DVDs
• Meatmen, The Devil’s in the Details Volume 1
• Ladies and Gentlemen the Fabulous Stains
• ANTiSEEN, Destructo Vision
• Punk’s Not Dead
• D.I., The Suburbia Sessions 1983
1. My baby, Scarlett Faye Micelli-Price enters the world!
2. Democratic Presidential debate. If Americans are on the fence, they must have their head up their ass. Vote Obama 2008 to start progressive change.
3. Financial Meltdown. Only in America can the free-market turn into socialism overnight. They Fed-Ex'd that shit!
4. Cyber-petitions. Its important to make your voice heard, even if they never listen.
5. The Nation Magazine. Do yourself a favor and start paying attention. It’s how I know the Treasury Secretary, Paulson, used to be a CEO at Goldman-Sachs! How bout that for a bailout?
• Reading Antonio Gramsci during election season
• The Conformist (DVD)
• Steve Bell’s cartoons in the Guardian
• Frost/Nixon (play), written by Peter Morgan, performed by St. Louis Repertory Theatre
• The Only Girl in the World, Glyn Maxwell’s play about one of history’s most tragic couples: Joseph Barnett and Mary Jane Kelly
Cristy C. Road
Top Five Things New Bands Should Be Influenced By
1. The vocals on the Self-titled American Steel record
2. “Ring of Joy” By Pansy Division
3. The Muffs
1. Skanking and crying at the same time
2. My new kitten Wallace
3. NickCave’s unironic air humping
4. Canadian Rifle 7”s
5. Actually mentioning “punk stuff” in my Top 5
• Cometbus #51
• Blotto / Ringers split 7"
• Canadian Rifle / American Cheeseburger split 7"
• Cheeky, Choke On A Cheeseburger 7"
• Cola Freaks, "Dodt Batteri" b/w "Nej!" 7"
Top 5 Non-OWTH Records That Have Me Crazily Fest-Stoked!:
1. Monikers, Wake Up LP
2. Bridge and Tunnel, East/West CD
3. Hidden Spots, Secret Noise EP
4. Banner Pilot, Resignation Day CD
5. The Measure (SA), One Chapter in the Book LP
5 recent things to plaster a smile on his face
1. Proposing to Yvonne (finally!) 08-09-08
2. Motorhead's latest LP, Motorizer
3. Off With Their Heads From The Bottom LP & rocking it live at The Scene bar here in Glendale
4. And You’ll Spin: A Tribute To Big Drill Car CD on Itchy Korean Records
5. Cruster bringing the rock back to KillCity this past September (new record coming soon!)
Recent Top 5 Best No-Earplugs Moments
1. Jay Reatard “My Shadow” at The Independent
2. The Cute Lepers “Prove It” at LowerSproulPlaza
3. The Toadies “I Burn” at Slim’s
4. NickCave & the Bad Seeds “Get Ready for Love” at the Warfield
5. The last song by Vitamin X at Thee Parkside
Jimmy Alvarado’s Thrifty Tres, Con Dos
• Circle One, Never Give In LP: No “Highway Patrolman” remake, but still a monster and wholly worth the 25 year wait.
• Jesus Camp documentary: Quite possibly the scariest fuggin’ movie I’ve ever seen.
• Cute Lepers, Can’t Stand Modern Music CD: Can’t stand still when this is blastin’
• Bulan Restaurant in Silverlake: Bomb-ass veggie Thai food. Coming from an avowed omnivore, that’s saying something.
• Having had the pleasure of knowing Sick Rick of Sister Morphine/Dysfunctionals and Gary Pogo of the Black Jax: Thanks for the cool tunes and friendship. Rest in peace, homeboys.
Joe Evans III
1. The Ergs!, Hindsight Is 20/20 My Friend CD
2. Hunchback, All the 7”s+Comp Stuff CD-R
3. The Pillowfights, Demo CDR
4. Sass Dragons – new song on myspace
5. More shows at really shitty dive bars than normal.
• Subsonics @ Debauch-A-Reno (live show)
• Okmoniks @ Debauch-A-Reno (live show)
• Head @ Debauch-A-Reno (live show)
• Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Primary Colours LP
• Hunx and His Punx, Cruisin’ MP3, awaiting the single
Top 5 2008 Dodgers Players
1. Manny Ramirez
2. Andre Ethier
3. Chad Billingsley
4. Matt Kemp
5. Russell Martin
• State Lottery, Cities We're Not From LP
• The Gaslight Anthem, The '59 Sound CD
• Madison Bloodbath, Gettin' Loose With Madison Bloodbath CD
• Banner Pilot, Resignation Day CD
• Get Bent, Demo
1. Starting grad school…again
2. Portishead, Three
3. Pig Destroyer, Phantom Limb
4. Adam Gnade, Hymn California (book)
5. Eating all the baked goods my roommate makes
Top 5 positive things the punks are doing in Brooklyn that I'm really psyched about:
1. Cinders Gallery and store full of zines
2. The walk for a cure for Polycystic Kidney Disease which helps out a friend
3. For the Birds, a new women's collective!
4. SupportNY, a collective that supports survivors of sexual assault
5. Willie Mae Rock Camp For Girls
Maddy Tight Pants
Top 5 Things I Did this Month (because you care!)
1. Went 2341 feet underground to tour an old iron ore mine in Ely, Minnesota!
2. Read the new Erick Lyle book, On the Lower Frequencies and thanked Erick for taking me to Hunt’s Donuts years ago before it closed!
3. Went on a Tour de Pastry, a long bike ride to different bakeries around the Twin Cities!
4. Listened to the Onion Flavored Rings! (Still! I’m obsessed!)
5. Read the new Cometbus (probably my favorite one in years!)
1. Pedestrians, Ideal Divide LP
2. It's Casual (live)
3. Artcore #25 (zine w/ Beef People EP)
4. Defektors, Secret Trials 7"
5. Vile Nation, Self-titled EP
1. Chris Knight, Heart Of Ston, CD
2. Pierced Arrows, Straight To The Heart LP
3. Perfect Fits / Twinkle Van Winkle, split 7"
4. Dan Baird & Homemade Sin, Self-titledCD
5. Obsoletes, Is This Progress CD
Top 5 things about fall weather
• bike rides that last for hours
• sex under blankets
• any time feels like coffee time
• big vats of soups and stews
• dogs wearing clothes
• What We Do Is Secret (The new movie about the Germs)
• Impaler’s 25th anniversary show at Station 4
• Suicidal Tendencies
• Smiley Face (What a hilarious movie)
• I’m in a Jess Franco State of Mind (Everything about Eurosleaze’s best filmmaker in one great blog)
Mr. Z's Top 5 Favorite bands who released material in 2008
1. Killer Dreamer
3. The Copyrights
4. The Veterans
5. Off With Their Heads
Naked Rob (KSCU 103.3FM)
1. Lightning Beat-Man & His No Talent "Wrestling Rock “n” Roll” CD
2. Aids Wolf “Cities Of Glass” CD
3. Off With Their Heads “From The Bottom”CD
4. Hipbone Slim And The Knee Tremblers “The Sheik Said Shake” CD
5. Grady “Y.U. So Shady? CD
Nardwuar The Human Serviette
1. Personality Crisis: Warm Beers and Wild Times by Chris Walter (Wonderful book about legendary Winnipeg Punk Rockers Personality Crisis )
2. Ugly Things # 27 Fanzine
3. THOR Live in Detroit 1985 CD (Canadian Metal God’s recently released “lost” live LP)
4. The Parallels Arms to HoldYou7”
5. RiverCity Tanlines, He Said Yes 7” (Cover of Vancouver ‘60s punks The Painted Ship’s “She Said Yes”! )
• The Pets, Misdirection LP
• Gentleman Jesse & His Men, s/t LP
• Perfect Fits, My Heart Is a Radio Transmitter 7”
• V/A, Ruling The World From The Back Seat 2xLP
• The Ettes, Look at Life Again Soon CD
• The Strike, A Conscience Left to Struggle with Pockets Full of Rust LP
• Tuba Dan and the Polkalanders, Polkatively Yours (on North Star Appliance, an old Green Bay polka record label which I believe is still based out of a small kitchen appliance store on West Mason Street, over by Sears)
• Dillinger Four, Vs. God
• Brygada Kryzys, self-titled
• The gloriously delicious world of sausages!
• Henri Lefebvre’s Critique of Everyday Life
• Old Jason Jesse, Natas, and Matt Hensley skate footage
• Wire’s 154
• Clash’s Sandinista!
• R.I.P. to my friend Van Wastell. A great person and skateboarder.
1. Jason Webley, The Cost of Living LP
2. Man Plus, The Hungarian Suicide Songbook CD
3. Heathers, Here, Not There CD
4. God Made Me The Raven (bad name, good band)
5. Kia-Ora (too orangey for crows)
Top 5 Bands/Artists That I Admire Much More Now Than I Did Twelve Months Ago:
1. The Damned
2. The Wildhearts
3. Bee Gees
4. Willie Nelson
5. Young Fresh Fellows
Top 5 Beer Catchphrases
1. King of Beers
2. From the Land of Pleasant Living
3. An Honest Brew Makes Its Own Friends
4. Head for the Mountains
5. It’s the Water
1. Nobunny, Love Visions LP
2. NickCave, Live Seattle 1998 bootleg I made myself
3. Brian Eno, Here Come the Warm Jets
4. Wilson Pickett, Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won't Do)
5. Nobunny and King Khan beat box extravaganza at The Stork Club. Fucking weird.
Todd Taylor• The Measure [SA], One Chapter in the Book: A Collection of Standard Waits and Measurements CD
• Pure Country Gold, P.C.G.E.P, 7”EP
• Banner Pilot, Resignation Day CD
• Sunnyside, Make Tacos Not Bombs CDEP demo
•The Achievement, self-titled CD
• Autistic Youth, I Want to See Every Tower Fall 7”EP
• Shang-a-lang and Awesome Fest 2
Top Five “E” Bands:
1. The Excessives
2. The Evaporators
3. The Ergs!
4. Electric Frankenstein
5. Exploited (the 12 year old in me made me say it)
• Awesome Fest 2
• Banner Pilot, Resignation Day CD (Go Kart)
• Nate Ganglehoff, You Idiot: The First Book (Arsenic)
• Shang-A-Lang / Turkish Techno split 7" (¡Muy Auténtico!)
• Shang-A-Lang / Jonesin' split 7" (Dead Broke / Dirt Cult)