Top Five Songs that Sound like Being on the Brink of Insanity
1. Rich Kids on LSD, “Think Positive”—A should-be positive message that becomes twisted into something… not so positive.
2. Black Flag, “Nervous Breakdown”—Anytime Keith Morris sings this live is an acceptable substitute.
3. Ruined Eye, “Land of Treason”—The Germs version is good, but both of these covers really ramp up the crazy.
4. Die Kreuzen, “Land of Treason”
5. Slint, “Breadcrumb Trail”—A really scary song about a roller coaster.
Stuff to Send Me Because You’re Nice Person Who Believes in Karma
Amy Lam, c/o OmarShareefAsianUniversity for Women, House No. 7, Road No. 2, Khulshi Hills, Chittagong, Bangladesh
• Mix CDs (craving new music!)
• Trader Joe’s granola bars and fruit leather
• An antidote to end this mean masochistic streak
• $10,832 (remaining student loan debt)
• Vapid celebrity gossip magazines
• Flipper, Live Targetvideo 77 – 1980-81 DVD
• Supersuckers free show in the Metrodome before a Twins game
• Plasmatics, Beyond the Valley of 1984 CD
• Bob Log III & Scott H. Biram show at Triple Rock
• Hanson Brothers, Gross Misconduct CD
• Templars, Out of the Darkness 7”
• Underground Railroad To Candyland / Pricks, Split 10”
• Okmoniks, Party Fever!!! LP
• Sloppy Seconds, Endless Bummer LP
• 4-Skins, Live at East Coast Oi! Fest 2008 CD
1. Sass Dragons, Bonkeroo! CD
2. The Estranged, Static Thoughts LP
3. American Cheeseburger/Canadian Rifle Split 7″
4. Stymie, Sourpuss 7″
5. Trojan Records Skinhead Box Set
1. The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman (book). Explains why India and China are giving the U.S. a run for its money when it comes to tech jobs that can be done cheaper!
2. Altaira reunion show at the Ken Club Sat. Aug. 21st!
3. Extinct Animals, War Is Terror CD
4. Black Lips, Good Bad Not Evil CD
5. High fives and knuckles… fuck the critics and talking heads
• How I spent my Fourth of July: Sloppy Seconds, live at the Creepy Crawl, St. Louis
• Shattered Faith, live at Fubar, St. Louis
• The Criterion DVD edition of Rules of the Game
• The Odyssey (Mary Zimmerman’s adaptation), St. Louis Shakespeare Company (play)
• Joe R. Lansdale, Godzilla’s Twelve-Step Program (short story)
Five Great Labels of Right Now
2. Thrillhouse Records
3. Dirt Cult Records
4. Small Pool Records
5. Snuffy Smiles
1. Doris #26 (zine)
2. The Gits Movie (movie, duh)
3. Limpwrist, Black Rainbow, Bruise Violet, Godstomper, Lebendon Toten @
4. Melanie, The Best of Melanie CD
5. The Porcupine’s Kisses by Stephan Dobyns (book)
Cristy C. Road
Top Five Reasons Why I Didn’t Move to San Francisco Yet
1. Carnal Knowledge
3. The Measure [SA]
4. The girl I was obsessed with who lived there is a fucking jerk.
5. The Pinhead Gunpowder show at Gilman St.last February is not going to happen every weekend.
1. Bleeding all over some papers and then sharting on my last day at a temp job.
2. All things Thin Lizzy (I feel an affinity with Phil Lynott because we are both half black and half Irish).
3. Solaris Earth Pipeline, 45s on 33
5. My school being across the street from the Married…With Children fountain.
• Sex Vid, Tania 7”
• Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Primary Colours CD
• Gentleman Jesse and His Men, Self-titled CD
• Audacity/Thee Make Out Party, split 7”
• Henry Fiat’s Open Sore, Mondo Blotto LP
Five Words that I’m Tired of Hearing; I Could Go on, but, You Know… 5 n’ Shit
3. Wrap (tortilla, douchebag)
4. Street team
Top 5 Books I’m Looking Forward to Annihilating at the Cottage!
1. Ken Dahl, Welcome to the Dahl House
2. Jeff Chang, Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation
3. Ben Snakepit, Snake Pit 2007 (YAY!)
4. Robert Eggplant, Absolutely Zippo: A Fanzine’s Anthology
5. David Katz, Solid Foundation: An Oral History of Reggae
Top 5 Songs at the Big Drill Car Reunion Gig on 08-13-08 in Huntington Beach, CA (with All the Original Members—First Time Together Live in Almost Seventeen Years!)
• “Mag Wheel”
• “Diamond Earrings”
• “Let Me Walk”
• “Annie’s Needle”
They Don’t Beat the Heat, But They Make It More Awesome
• Leatherface, “Ghetto”
• Gina Young, “Too Cool To Cry”
• Sirens, “Washington Street”
• Oswald Five-O, “On The Table”
• Tranzmitors, “Bigger Houses”
• San Diego Comic Con
• Vinyl monster toys from Tokyo (www.Gargamel.jp)
• Mike and Arielle’s wedding 8/9/08
• I am 8-bit art show 8/14/08
• Sid Brown and Year Long Disaster HOB 8/8/08
• The Wire season five (DVD)
• Getting my tickets for The Fest VII
• Riding my big fat cruiser bike around the streets of Ottawa
• Wolf Parade, At Mount Zoomer CD
• Austin Lucas, Putting the Hammer Down CD
1. Joan Jett, Bad Reputation on Boardwalk Records. I play the record at least four times a day.
2. Riverboat Gamblers and Toys That Kill at Alex’s Bar in Long Beach, CA (7/26/08)
3. Designated Dale driving a car full of us drunks home from the Gamblers show in Long Beach and the cops pulling him over and not being able to do anything because he was sober. And then all of us drunk passengers responding to the cop’s question, “Have you guys been drinking?” with an emphatic, and in unison, “Yes!” It’s great when you feel untouchable by cops.
4. The Ignorant (record release show) at The Scene Bar in Glendale, CA (8/9/08)
5. Going to “Looney Tunes on Broadway” at the Hollywood Bowl, which means watching classic Looney Tunes cartoons on the big screen while the LA Philharmonic Orchestra plays along to them.
• Kung Fu Panda making a big splash at the box office.
• Todd ’n’ Mary-Clare’s most recent clambake: nothin’ beats chatting with good friends, eatin’ tacos, and listening to a punk band cover Aretha Franklin.
• Naked Raygun vinyl reissues: You can’t play ’em in yer car, but they sure make your house sound swell.
• Titanarum: Spastis Progressivus Aggressiorum, 7” EP: screamin’ thrash that doesn’t sound like all the other kids.
• Dancehall Troops III comp CD: One seriously good comp.
Joe Evans III
1. The Steinways, Gorilla Marketing CD + Live.
2. Cheeky, Choke on a Cheeseburger CDR
3. Prohibition, Sorry for the Inconvenience 7” + Live w/ Acne Attack + Use of the word “Chucklefuck”
4. Banner Pilot, Resignation Day CD
5. Vena Cava, Weapons of Mass Communication CDEP
1. Mayyors, Megan’s LOLZ 7”
2. The Dutchess And The Duke, Never Had a Chance 7”
3. Jacuzzi Boys, Island Ave.7”
4. The Rantouls, Chug A Lug 7”
5. Searching in the Wilderness, Comp LP
The Lord Kveldulfr
• Edward Gorey books
• The word “trundle”
• Root beer
• Fixing the gearshift on my car with duct tape
• The Library of Congress online catalogue
Maddy Tight Pants
Things I’ve Been Doing Every Day
1. Listening to the Onion Flavored Rings songs on the OFR/Future Virgins split EP!
2. Flossing (in honor of Crucial Youth! Positive Dental Outlook!)
3. Wishing I didn’t have four jobs
4. Listening to my dad’s old Francoise Hardy records
5. Eagerly anticipating fall (but holy crap, that sounds like an emo band), my favorite season!
Top 5 Bands I Saw on Saturday
• The Arrivals
• Chinese Telephones
• Jetty Boys
• Ling Ling
5 Great Things About the Summer of ’08
1. Maggie, age two, singing along with the Gentlemen Jesse CD
2. Binging on Kurt Vonnegut and William Kennedy
3. Going to a Mets game with the Wisconsin Punk Rock All-Stars
4. Finally realizing that the Measure [SA] are not merely a good band but, in fact, an excellent one
5. Discovering The Wire, a television show for people who hate television shows
1. Dan Baird & Homemade Sin, Self-titled CD
2. Jazzman, Now Again: Luv N Haight, funk Comp CDs
3. Blessings CD / John Mellencamp: Life CD
4. Suspicions, Knack , Drag The River: live sets
5. Izzy Stradlin, Concrete Digital Album
• The Stooges at Terminal 5 in NYC
• The Germs at Blender Theater in NYC
• Pizza in NYC
• Going to The David Letterman Show in NYC
• Pretty much everything about NYC
Naked Rob (KSCU 103.3FM)
1. Totimoshi, Milagrosa CD
2. Fucked Up, Year of the Pig LP
3. Made Out Of Babies, The Ruiner CD
4. The Kung Fu Killers, Fist of Fury CD
5. The Yuppie Pricks, Balls CD
Nardwuar The Human Serviette
1. Vancougar, Canadian Tuxedo LP
2. The Jolts, Haute Voltage CD
3. Teacher’s Pet, Self-titledCD
4. Various Artists, Emergency Room, Vol 1 LP
5. Various Artists, Funhouse Comp Thing Vol 2 CD
Nation Of Amanda
Upcoming Shows I’m Psyched for…
2. Samiam (i haven’t seen them since 2000!)
3. The Night Marchers
4. Fun Fun Fun Fest in november
5. The inevitable zombie Ramones reunion tour (a girl can dream.)
• Hüsker Dü, New Day Rising
• The Barrettes (Milwaukee all-girl punk rock)
• The Blueheels (Appleton all-boy country punk)
• Toivo (Fish Creek roadsit rock!)
• Waking up in all the wrong places.
1. Kraftwerk, Autobahn, LP
2. Matt Hensley’s part in Shackle Me Not (skateboard video)
3. 13th Floor Elevators
4. Buying rare records in Tel Aviv with my wife
5. Congratulations to Todd Taylor and Mary-Clare. Kick ass.
Top 5 Bands I am Looking Forward to Seeing at Riot Fest 2008
3. The Bomb
4. The Methadones
5. Teenage Bottlerocket
1. Statues, pretty much everything they’ve recorded
2. Off With Their Heads, From the Bottom
3. Nobunny, Love Visions
4. Paul Westerberg, 49:00
5. Sly And The Family Stone, Whole New Thing
• Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Primary Colours LP
• Dude Jams / Shang-a-lang / Gordon Gano’s Army / Dan Padilla, 4-way split
• Young Offenders, “Big Man” b/w “Small Houses” 7”
• Estranged, Entranced 7”EP
• Gentleman Jesse, Self-titled LP
• The Heathers, Lose It, demo CDEP
Top Five “D” Bands
3. Dead Milkmen
5. Dillinger Four
Top Five Things That Aren’t Alex (girlfriend)
• Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, Self-titled CDEP
• God Equals Genocide, Life of Doubt 7”
• Dirt Cult/Fast Crowd 4-way split 7”
• Period Three Demos
• Tiltwheel, Battle Hymns LP + CD
1. X-Ray Tech classes
2. David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
4. thrashermagazine.com message boards (redline)
5. The Hold Steady, Stay Positive