Top 5s from Razorcake 96: Drakulas, Alice Bag, Toys That Kill, Uranium Club, Shit Present, Dead To Me
(gliched cover by candice)
• Ladrón, La Fuerza demo CS
• Bib, Pop 7” EP
• Coil, The Ape of Naples 2 x 12” reissue
• Death Grips, Bottomless Pit 12” LP
• Sightlines, North 12” LP
1. Leather Towel, IV LP
3. Deathly, Self-titled CS
2. Beta Boys, After Dark 7”
3. Mark Cone, Mark Cone Sings 7”
5. Haram, What Do You See? 7”
• The Sussed, The Chesterfield Years 10”
• ANTiSEEN, The Southern Hostility Demos LP
• S.L.I.P., Slippy When Wet LP
• The Brass, Short Cuts CD
• Pale Angels, Daydreaming Blues LP
• Uranium Club, Who Made the Man? 7”
• Acrylics, Acrylics 12”
• WOODBOOT, Krang Gang LP
• Mommy, Songs about Children LP
• Angel, 2017 LP
Top 5 Live Albums off the Top of My Head While Eating Sushi and Drinking Sake…
1. Livage, Decendents
2. First Avenue Live, Dillinger 4
3. Evilive, Misfits
4. Americans Abroad, Against Me!
5. SkaFunkRastapunk, Skankin’ Pickle
Top Five Take-Aways from 2016
• #BlackLivesMatter past, present, and forever.
• Queer communities are precious and magical and our music is fucking powerful.
• “Music is gonna get good and political again” is bullshit. Good music has been political for years. Ask any DIY band that’s not made up of all straight white dudes.
• Never underestimate what fear can make people do and believe.
• There is power in acts of resistance. The folks at Standing Rock know that, they also know that revolution is not built on any single win alone.
Top 5 Records of 2016
1. Descendents, Hypercaffium Spazzinate LP
2. Vanity, Don’t Be Shy LP
3. Against Me!, Shape Shift with Me
4. Gygax, Critical Hits LP
5. Drakulas, Raw Wave LP
1. Spectres, Utopia LP
2. Red Dons, Public Eye, Dark/Light, The Stops at The Know
3. Alice Bag at The Know
4. Drakulas, Raw Wave LP
5. Ex-Cult, Negative Growth LP
• The Du-Rites, J-Zone and Pablo Martin Are LP
• Bleached, Welcome the Worms LP
• Swet Shop Boyz, Cashmere LP
• Kayla Sargeson, First Red (poetry book)
• Writing my first full-on Razorcake article in a decade
Clara Luci Acosta
1. Western Settings and Dead to Me, I Wanna Die in Los Angeles EP release show at the Hi-Hat
2. Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock’s Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout by Laura Jane Grace
3. Zach Quinn solo show at The Redwood Bar. He’s really fuckin’ nice.
4. Against Me!, Bad Religion, and NOFX at Ye Scallywag!
5. Dustin, Marty, Griffin, Kevin, Devin, Bruno, Eden, Jack, Chicken, and everyone else who makes the scene a fun and safe place to be. You guys rule.
1. Any resistance to all this fucking fascism!
2. Continuing positive effects of Ayahuasca ceremonies
3. Leonard Cohen’s legacy, Rest in Power. His words meant so fucking much to me!
4. Angry fucking punk. Angry fucking hip hop!
5. Sherman Alexie’s overwhelming emotional “reading” at Elliot Bay the day after election
Top Five Dream Jobs I Wanted Growing Up
• Punk-O-Rama compilation creator.
• Work on a Nickelodeon game show.
• Merch girl on tour.
• Photographer at shows.
• Marine biologist.
• The Nopes, Never Heard of It
• Fiscal Spliff, This Too Shall Pass, and live
• Box Fan, Are We Even Try, and live
• Erica Freas, Patient Ones
• The Ergs!, Godddamn Death Dedication 7”
1. Dead To Me’s EP Release Show at The Hi Hat
2. Cloud Nothings, Internal World
3. Joyce Manor, Cody
4. Photographing Turnstile side stage at The Teragram Ballroom
5. Writing my first top 5 list for the coolest DIY punk rock magazine out there
• Worse, Rubber Burner
• Heat 7”
• Hospital Job, Never Get Cold
• Impalers, Cellar Dweller promo tape
• Beach Impediment joins Bandcamp
1. Ah Fuck
2. Human Behavior
4. The Paranoids
5. Fernando And The Teenage Narcs
1. The Nods, Chromatic Recollections 7″
2. Fashionism, Subculture Suicide 7″
3. Captain Beyond, Self-titled LP
4. Sparks, Angst in my Pants CD
5. Voice Of Doom, Screams from Space CD
• C.C.T.V., 7” Piece of Paper & Audio Cassette Tape, and live at E7th
• Belgrado, live at Union
• Black Randy And The Metro Squad, Pass the Dust I Think I’m Bowie CS
• Meeting new Razorcake folks at RC spitball, 11/20/16
• P22, demo tape
Top Five Reasons We Will Always Need DIY Venues
1. To provide safer spaces for women, queers, gender non-conforming and POC artists to share their work, without risk of tokenization or commodification.
2. To make music more accessible to marginalized communities.
4. To make space for healing, pain, liberation, and community.
5. Because DIY is invincible.
• My Damage, book by Keith Morris and Jim Ruland
• Lysa Flores and Alice Bag’s respective live sets at Self-Help Graphics’ annual Dia de los Muertos event 11/2/16.
• Suicide, Self-titled LP
• Couteau Latex, Hostile Environment 7”
• La Tuya’s continued existence
• Dave Roche spinning the platters that matter on Who’s Got the Pox? a punk podcast
• Pittsburgh rockers Calyx blowing the roof off a Westside Chicago garage on a frigid weeknight.
• What We Loved Was Not Enough, zine by Ed Blair
• Minor Leagues Two, zine by Simon Moreton
• White Reaper, White Reaper Does It Again
Five Memorable L.A. Shows This Year
• Alice Bag’s album release show at the Echo
• Pete Anderson’s second set of his show, followed by LoveyDove’s set as part of the Messaround, at Viva Cantina
• C.W. Stoneking at the Echo
• Kid Congo And The Pink Monkey Birds at Permanent Records in Highland Park
• La Victoria and La Tuya at Razorcake’s quinceañera (those were the only two sets I saw)
• Janitor Scum LP, tie with Kriegshög LP
• Uranium Club: Beat Session Vol. 1 CS and Who Made the Man? 7”
• Razorcake Cakeceañera with Desidia and La Tuya featuring La Victoria
• Napalm Death / Melt-Banana, Split 7”
• Vin Scully for sixty-seven years of Dodgers baseball announcing
1. Shit Present, Self-titled
2. Descendents and Bully at The Neptune, Seattle
3. Razorcake benefit show with Dead Bars, Listen Lady, Ramona, Sharkie, Burn Burn Burn, Brave Hands, Perfect People, and Young Go Hards at Black Lodge and Victory Lounge, Seattle
4. toyGuitar and CJ Ramone at The Funhouse, Seattle
5. Crusades, This Is a Sickness and Sickness Will End
1. Wreck of the Zephyr, After the Myths of Youth
2. The Spitboy Rule, Michelle Cruz Gonzales
3. The Pretty Flowers / Last Good Sleep, Split 7”
4. Brooklyn #94 (zine)
5. Rats From A Sinking Ship, The Peasants Revolt CD
1. Bundles / DWatS, Split 12”. Thanks Keith Rosson for the recommendation.
2. Unlovables / Dirt Bike Annie, Reunion Show split LP
3. Hiccup, Cassingle
4. Post-It Show 12 art show at GR2
5. Bonnie Raitt, “I Can’t Make You Love Me.” I never heard it before but somebody posted it on my Facebook wall, so…
1. Super Unison, Hero
2. Planes Mistaken For Stars, Prey
3. System Of A Down, Hypnotize
4. Benton Falls, Guilt Beats Hate
5. Drunken Sufis, Pala Pala
• The Proletariat, Soma Holiday LP re-issue and live
• Brix & The Extricated, Something to Lose 7”
• Poizon, upcoming LP
• Heater, Self-titled 7”
• Sauna Youth, everything
Michael T. Fournier
• Shellac, MiniBeast at Met Cafe, Pawtucket, RI 10/21/16
• Proletariat, Ancient Filth, Pragmatics at Once Gallery, Somerville, MA 11/04/16
• Rules at Ralph’s Diner, Worcester, MA 11/11/16
• Anal Trump, That Makes Me Smart! EP
• Fake Limbs, Matronly LP
Top 5 Bands/Artists that Ruled 2016 for Me
1. The Cure
3. Joey Bada$$
4. Dark Thoughts
5. Laika’s Orbit
1. Drive By Truckers, American Band LP
2. Testament, Brotherhood of the Snake CD
3. Blackberry Smoke, Like an Arrow CD
4. Airbourne, Breakin’ Outta Hell CD
5. Ramones, Self-titled 40th Anniversary CD
DJ Naked Rob
Radio Valencia 87.9FM | SF
1. Heat, Self-titled 7”
2. The Blind Shake, Celebrate Your Worth LP
3. Drakulas, Raw Wave LP
4. The Monsters, M LP
5. Personal And The Pizzas, Self-titled LP
Nardwuar the Human Serviette
1. Fluke Fanzine #13—where else can you learn about Arkansas bands from the ‘90s! And Fluke is twenty-five years strong!
2. The Moderns, The Year of Today EP—re-issue of amazing Swedish mod circa 1979!
3. Strange Things—Higher Anxiety / Gather Believers, Vancouver, BC rock’n’roll greatness!
4. The Tubuloids—It’s Getting Weird LP, uh, Vancouver, BC, tsunami surf rock!
5. Ugly Things Magazine #42—thirty-three years of the best unheard stories!
Top 5 Releases of 2016
1. Sheer Mag, III EP
2. Super Unison, Auto
3. G.L.O.S.S., Trans Day of Revenge EP
4. Bleached, Welcome the Worms
5. Beach Slang, A Loud Bash of Teenage Feelings
• Basement Benders at Fest
• Tenement at Fest
• Dan Vapid, All Wound Up CD
• The Mr. T Experience, Nobodys, Rev. Nørb And The Onions, at the Lyric Room, Green Bay
• Packers beating the Seahawks at Lambeau Field
1. Yeesh, Little Big Bangs, Drool, Bow And Spear, at DCTorium, Chicago
2. Dead To Me record release show, with Western Settings, Dimber, Love Nothing at The Hi Hat, L.A.
3. Great Apes, California Heart LP
4. Cruz Radical record release show, with DFMK, GRIDS at the Whistle Stop, San Diego
5. Dead To Me, I Wanna Die in Los Angeles EP
• CRIM, Blau Sang, Vermell Cel LP
• The Damned, live at University of Plymouth, 12/03/16
• Wonk Unit and Jon Shoe, live at Exeter Cavern, 11/10/16
• Folk Devils, Beautiful Monsters (Singles and Demo Recordings 1984-1986) LP
• The Hippaes, I Just Want to Float in the Void CS
1. Cass McCombs Mangy Love
2. Gimme Danger (Stooges documentary)
3. Narcocorrido by Elijah Wald
4. Einstein’s Dreams by Alan Lightman
5. Duchess Says, Sciences Nouvelles
• Cowboys, Self-titled LP
• Lumpy And The Dumpers, Huff My Sack LP
• Nots, “Cold Line” b/w “TV OD” 7”
• Buck Biloxi And The Fucks, “Obama Is a Cyborg” b/w “Digging through Trash” 7”
• LSDogs, “Creeps” b/w “You’re Done” 7”
• Izzy True, Nope LP
• Sammus, Pieces in Space CD
• P.S. Eliot, 2007-2011 CD
• Desidia, Harto
• The Blind Shake, Celebrate Your Worth LP
Super Stoked for New Records Coming in 2017
2. The Damned
3. The Dopamines
4. Bash & Pop
5. The Fags
1. Deadaires’ “Constance Demario”
2. Water Protectors at Standing Rock
3. Plain Glazed Vegan Donuts
4. Pandemic Legacy board game
5. “Out of Office” email settings
• Noi!se, Real Enemy LP
• Ripcord, live in Leeds
• B squadron, Saturday’s Soldiers EP
• Alienation, Mini LP
• Fatigue, Scab EP
Top Five Movies I Have Recently Enjoyed
1. Kubo and the Two Strings
2. Hell or High Water
3. Gimme Danger
4. The Handmaiden
5. Beaver Trilogy Part IV
• Alice Bag, Self-titled LP and live at Self-Help Graphics’ forty-third annual Dia de los Muertos
• Sex Stains, Self-titled LP
• Generacion Suicida, Sombras LP
• Bad Sports, Living with Secrets 12” EP
• El Banda, Wściekłyszpaler EP
Top 5 of 2016
1. Toys That Kill, Sentimental Ward
2. Mind Spiders, Prosthesis
3. Drakulas, Raw Wave
4. Bad Future, Self-titled
5. Descendents, Hypercaffium Spazzinate
Do you enjoy these Top 5s? A great way to help keep them coming is getting a reasonably priced subscription to our bi-monthly fanzine, Razorcake. Click the link below.